Disclaimer: Results, recovery, and risks vary by the individual.
The following information for Hair Transplant in Singapore is meant as a guide only.
Get a fuller Head of Hair with SL Clinic’s FUE Hair Transplant in Singapore
A person can lose on average, 50-100 strands of hair a day; this is part of the hair renewal process. However, some individuals may suffer from excessive balding at some point of time in their lives due to several factors.
The three main factors that cause balding can include:
Hormones stimulate hair growth and therefore, hormonal changes by far have the biggest impact on balding in most people. The fluctuations in hormonal levels during pregnancy and childbirth in women can lead to excessive balding.
Many of these hormonal changes are hereditary, with a proportion of the male population (closer to 90%) predisposed to Male Pattern Baldness. This is due to less male hormones in the body, a hormone found to be the main culprit.
Male balding dedications therefore, aim to limit the reduction of male hormones. It has its limitations, however, and typically only slows the balding process.
More importantly, many men procrastinate at taking action when a balding condition is discovered. It is always better for you (and your wallet) to address this issue with our hair transplant treatments before it becomes difficult to rectify.
Balding may also be trigged by disease or illnesses as hair follicles are very sensitive and respond to imbalances in the body. Thyroid diseases, cancer treatments, low serum iron and a diet low in nutrition can lead to hair loss. Other medications can also result in balding.
Many people change the appearance of their hair with dyes, tints, bleaches, straighteners and permanent waves that can be harsh on the hair and scalp. The use of such hairstyling products can also cause balding as some of these products contain strong chemicals which may result in chemical burns on the scalp.
At SL Clinic, our specialised Hair Transplant treatments will give you fuller and healthier locks!
Hair Transplant in Singapore (FUE) – Solution for Balding in Singapore
SL Clinic’s specialised Hair Transplant via Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) is a method of obtaining follicular units (i.e Hair Transplant) – naturally occurring groups of one to four hairs (also known as grafts), for hair transplantation. In Hair Transplant (FUE) harvesting, individual follicular units are extracted directly from the hair restoration patient’s donor area/site, ideally one at a time. This is done in a random manner, such that hair density in donor sites are maintained as before. In a properly-performed Hair Transplant (FUE) procedure at SL Clinic Singapore, the results can mimic the way your hair naturally grows. As with any procedure or treatment, results can vary by individual.
Our Hair Transplantation Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) in Singapore is suitable for both males and females.
BENEFITS OF SL CLINIC’S HAIR TRANSPLANT FOLLICULAR UNIT EXTRACTION (FUE) in Singapore
- Precise Follicle Graft Extraction of Hair Transplant Our experienced hair technician uses an advanced micro-motor punch device to harvest grafts from the donor site; this means increased efficiency, minimal downtime and scarring, for a larger number of grafts
- Minimised Trauma to donor site, with decreased wastage of harvested grafts during Hair Transplant procedure
- Maximises Resources in Hair Transplant. In the event where follicles in the donor site is insufficient during assessment, grafts can be obtained from other parts of the body to achieve the desired result
- SL Clinic’s stringent processes and careful handling during Hair Transplant in Singapore ensure a Higher Survival Rate of Follicle Grafts. Plus, our hair technician’s meticulous attention to detail and unique technique has a success rate of 95%, which surpasses conventional Hair Transplant FUE methods
- Increased Hair Density. When grafts are re-planted between existing hairs, the hair technician can clearly see the natural angle of hair growth and can perfectly position each graft to match the existing ones during Hair Transplant (FUE). This also eliminates the risk of planning grafts too close to existing hair, giving you a more natural look that lasts
- Minimal Discomfort during Hair Transplant. The procedure is performed under local anaesthesia and within the clinic premises in Singapore
- Minimal Downtime and affordable cost of Hair Transplant at our clinic. Along with a specially developed technique that reduces downtime, our clinically proven recovery formulation can be used to drastically boost recovery. Some patients are able to return to daily activities 1 to 2 days after the procedure.
READ MORE ABOUT FOLLICULAR UNIT EXTRACTION HAIR TRANSPLANT AT SL CLINIC IN SINGAPORE IN THE FAQ BELOW
FAQ Hair Transplant in Singapore
It is important that our hair doctor assess your condition and needs during a consultation. This is to understand what your expectations and concerns are and to advise what is the best way to address them. During the consultation, the doctor will determine if you’re suitable for the procedure, the number of grafts required, the method of extraction, and explain to you the risks or downtime involved.
Depending on the number of grafts needed, or in other words the amount of hairs to be transplanted for an optimal hair density in the recipient site, we recommend shortening a small strip of your hair, typically at the back of the head. This can be easily hidden by surrounding hair, until it grows back.
Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) Hair Transplant is done wholly by hand (with an exceptionally keen eye for details).
- First, a small strip of hair from the donor site is shortened with a shaver to approximately 1mm in length. We encourage patients to allow this shaving for a smoother procedure. The shaven area can be easily hidden by other hairs around the area. We call this the “stealth shaving” technique. For larger transplantations (>1,500 grafts), a complete shave may be required
- The donor site is then cleansed with an antiseptic solution
- The scalp in the donor site is numbed with local anaesthetic
- A specialised pen with a diameter ranging from 0.6 to 0.8mm is then used to extract the follicular units (between one to four strands of hair), complete with vital glands
- The grafts are then collected and stored in a special hypothermasol solution. The individual grafts are carefully inspected under high-powered magnification for better graft survival and quality
- An implantation scheme is then planned out for the recipient site. This crucial step determines the angles, direction and distribution of grafts
- The harvested hair grafts are then implanted by hand into the recipient site by our experienced hair technician.
Donor sites are areas where hair can be extracted for transplantation. Sites include:
- Hair from the back and sides of the head
- Body hair
- Underarm hair
Recipient sites are areas where hair can be transplanted. Typical areas patients have had the procedure for include:
- Crown of the head
- Facial hair (e.g., beard, moustache)
As a well-researched out-patient procedure, Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) hair transplantation in Singapore is considered a very safe treatment for hair loss and sparse hair density. In addition, as you are your own donor, there is no risk of matching or allergies. But as with any medical treatment, there are some associated risks.
Some risks may appear after Hair Transplant’s grafting process. Others may arise a long time after surgery. These risks are rare and can be minimised by consulting with our professional doctor. These include, but are not limited to:
❖ Bleeding (haematoma)
❖ Infection & cystic formation
❖ Temporary thinning of hair
❖ Scab itch
❖ Temporary pain
❖ Poor wound healing
❖ Possibility of revision surgery
The results of hair transplants are long lasting. Transplanted hairs are typically harvested from the back or the sides of the head.
The nature of hair from such donor sites is that they are the most resistant to factors that contribute to hair fall. This is the reason why you’ll notice that men do not bald at the back and sides of the head. This is also why we transplant hair from these areas.
Fifteen days after a hair transplant, the transplanted hair may fall off; this is normal. Two months after the surgery, new and normal hair growth will take place, taking up to nine months to fully regrow.
Important note: Hair transplants neither create more hair nor prevent further hair loss. But the transplanted hairs will be resistant to factors that contribute to male pattern baldness.
SL Clinic Hair Transplants in Singapore are out-patient procedures. Patients are able to return home after.
On average, a hair transplant can take up to 5 to 6 hours. Depending on the complexity of the surgery and number of grafts, Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) Hair Transplants may take place in a single session, or multiple shorter sessions. This will be determined by the consulting doctor.
Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) Hair Transplant uses mild local anaesthesia. This limits any sensation felt during the procedure. Any post-procedural aches/tenderness can be easily managed with pain medication.
We will also recommend the use of our clinically proven recovery formulation to dramatically boost the recovery process of your Hair Transplant in Singapore.
Recovery after a Hair Transplant in SL Clinic Singapore will largely depend on the number of grafts transplanted, with some patients going back to work or daily activities as soon as the next day.
Since hairs are individually harvested from the scalp during Hair Transplant (FUE), tiny 1mm dots will form. These marks are easily hidden amongst hair and usually heal within three to seven days, after scabbing-over in the days following the procedure.
Of course, this will depend on the number of grafts harvested during Hair Transplant procedure. As a rule of thumb the more the grafts, the longer the downtime.
Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) hair transplant is safe for most healthy adults, whether male or female. As with all medical procedures, you should be sure to disclose all of your medical history and current habits such as smoking and use of blood-thinners, medications, birth control pills, or supplements.
Hair Transplantation in Singapore is unsuitable in the following circumstances:
- A person (usually someone young in their 20s) experiencing excessive hair loss and expecting to return to the look they had as a teenager
- Unrealistic expectations
- Bleeding or blood clotting disorders (coagulopathy)
- Active bacterial or viral infection
- On blood thinning medication
- Skin conditions such as Discoid Lupus, Lichen, Planopilaris, Psoriasis, Alopecia Areata (active phase)
- Other systemic conditions such as diabetes, poor wound healing, tendency for keloid scar formation
Hair Transplant Singapore Pre-care: Ensure that you’re in a good state of health and not recovering from a bacterial or viral infection. Avoid the use of blood thinners and consumption of alcohol for two weeks before Hair Transplant.
Hair Transplant Singapore Post-care: After surgery you will be required to stay out of sunlight as much as possible. Styling products should be avoided as well. You will be required to return to the clinic the day after or two, and we will instruct you on how to perform a hair wash during recovery. We will also recommend the use of our clinically proven recovery formula to boost your recovery process after Hair Transplant in Singapore.