Lots of people choose the pico laser treatment in Singapore because of its ability to help reduce the appearance of pigmentation and scarring, rejuvenate the skin, and even remove unwanted tattoos. Since our face is what we show most to the world, a loss of collagen and elastin in the skin that happens over time can make fine lines, wrinkles, and scarring or pigmentation more obvious to outsiders and whenever we look at our reflection in the mirror. Pico lasers can help to rejuvenate the skin by stimulating the regeneration of collagen and elastin starting right after the treatment up until 3 months after!
In this article, we will give a step-by-step explanation of the Pico laser consultation, preparation, treatment, and recovery that you can expect when you choose the Pico laser treatment for your skin care needs.
We always start with an initial consultation with one of our trusted skin care doctors to understand more about your condition and whether the pico laser in Singapore is really suitable for you to achieve the results that you want. We will go through:
- Your past medical history to check if you are taking any specific medications or are having any medical conditions which make you unsuitable for laser treatment
- Whether you have done any previous laser or skin care treatments before, if you had any adverse reactions, and what your current skin care routine is
- What your treatment goals and expectations of the treatment are
- And we will also perform an assessment of your skin to examine your current skin condition, particularly around the areas of concern that you want to highlight with this treatment
This gives us a clear place to start and sets the foundation for assessing what your current condition is. This also helps us to see how much progress has been made when you come in for any follow-up sessions after treatment is completed!
A good Pico laser preparation is key to ensure a smooth treatment session, and also so that recovery goes without a hitch. Schedule your appointment 2 weeks before or after any other types of skin care treatments that may cause skin irritation or further skin ‘renewal’. This includes treatments like chemical peels and other lasers. Too many abrasive skin treatments in a short period of time can cause skin irritation and poor skin healing. 2 days before your appointment, avoid products which can cause further skin sensitivity such as retinols or retinoids, facial acids (AHAs, BHAs, PHAs), and avoiding any abrasive facial procedures like scrubs, waxing, tweezing, threading, or tanning/sun beds.
Time – Don’t be surprised if your Pico laser treatment only lasts 15-30 minutes! That’s short enough to be an appointment done within your lunch break. This is because the Pico laser operates using ‘picoseconds’ – it shoots one trillion light pulses from its laser into your skin within a second, conveniently shortening the treatment time. The length of the appointment might be longer if you are having the pico laser treatment in Singapore over multiple areas such as your face, neck and chest, hands, or larger tattoo areas for pigment removal.
Sensation – The short amount of time for smaller areas means that you won’t feel much sensation as well, with some patients opting to not use any topical numbing cream before their procedure if they are pressed for time. Tattoo removal with the Pico laser treatment might feel more intense than a normal skin rejuvenation session due to a larger number of pigments present in the skin.
Otherwise, most people report being able to hop on back into their daily operations without much issue after their Pico laser treatment session. Just remember to apply sunscreen before heading back out!
Right after your Pico laser treatment session, you might experience some transient effects which are temporary such as:
- Mild redness over the treatment areas which goes off within a few hours
- Skin might feel hot or tender to touch for a few hours
- For tattoo removal, there may be a whitening or ‘frosted’ layer over the tattoo region which will eventually go off
Eventually, your Pico laser recovery will look a lot more like:
- Youthful and fresher-looking skin appearance with brighter complexion
- More even skin tone with a reduction in pigmentation spots and pitting scars
- Reduced fine lines around your fragile skin areas like your eyes, mouth, and sides of the nose
- More confidence in your bare skin!
A few aftercare instructions which will make recovery faster are:
- Avoiding retinoids for 3 to 5 days after treatment
- Avoiding direct sunlight and excessive heat
- Wear a broad-spectrum SPF30 or more over treated areas before going out, and reapply every 2 hours
Who Is A Suitable Candidate?
Pico laser treatments are suitable for who want to:
- Even out skin texture from scarring or pores
- Reduce hyperpigmentation or dark/red spots on the skin
- Removal of tattoos
- Reduce rosacea/facial flushing
Generally, it is safe for most healthy adults and skin types. Even pregnant women can undergo this treatment, but any pregnancies should be disclosed to the doctor beforehand. Those who are not suitable candidates are those with hypersensitive skin issues, have seizure disorders, have open wounds in the target areas, and those under the age of 18 years old.
Since the Pico laser is non-ablative (doesn’t disrupt the top barrier of your skin) and uses light energy instead of heat, most people do not need to deal with a long downtime. Speak to one of our trusted consultants today to bring the experience of Pico laser treatment from words to real life!