Age creeps up on everybody. Even if you’ve lived a healthy lifestyle and diligently follow a skincare routine from a young age.
At some point, all of us have considered getting that facelift from a plastic surgeon, especially when there are deep smile lines and drooping jowls that are appearing because of sagging skin.
Here’s the thing —why opt for surgical treatments when you can try non-surgical treatment options first?
In this article, we’ll talk about the pros and cons of surgical vs non-surgical skin tightening treatments. Then, we’ll explore what are the non-surgical skin treatments for saggy neck, weight loss, loose skin or loose skin after pregnancy in Singapore!
What are Surgical Skin Tightening Procedures?
The typical invasive surgical skin tightening procedures are categorised as a type of plastic surgery, otherwise known as cosmetic surgery.
This includes the likes of rhytidectomy (also known as a facelift) and abdominoplasty (also known as a tummy tuck).
They are surgical procedures that are performed by cosmetic surgeons.
For example, surgical facelifts are commonly used to address several problems areas including sagging cheeks, deep creases, drooping jowls and excess skin on the neck (also known as saggy neck!). Tummy tucks are often used to remove excess skin after pregnancy.
What are the Pros and Cons of Surgical Skin-Tighteening Procedures
A surgical facelift or tummy tuck can reverse the signs of loose or saggy skin with several benefits, namely:
- They tighten facial muscles: The underlying structures of your face tend to weaken and sag with age. Before repairing this loose skin, your plastic surgeon will tighten this underlying structure into a better configuration. This process puts less tension on your skin and helps your facelift last longer.
- They repair loose skin: Your plastic surgeon will trim and tighten your sagging skin to ensure a more youthful and natural look. However, your surgeon will ensure that your skin is not pulled too tight, as this can result in a “pulled” appearance.
- They improve facial contours: If you opt for a mid facelift, this will result in a smoother look to the cheeks and lower eyelids. A lower facelift, on the other hand, results in a more attractive jawline contour, getting rid of jowls and smoothing out the neck area.
- The effect lasts for many years and is increasingly affordable: The effects of a surgical facelift can last for up to ten years. Moreover, it is an affordable procedure, which causes minimal pain and discomfort. Also, it requires a limited recovery time after the procedure is done.
However, there are several drawbacks to surgical procedures. This includes:
- Recovery time: With today’s modern facelift procedures recovery has been reduced greatly, however, there is still some recovery time needed.
- Aftercare: Surgical facelifts require some amount of aftercare on the patients part – typically for the first few days after surgery.
- Cost: Although facelifts are becoming increasingly affordable, they are more expensive than non-surgical treatments.
- Risk of Surgery: As with any type of surgery, there is some level of inherent risk. However well-trained plastic surgeons are adept at minimizing these risks.
On the other hand, what are the benefits non-surgical skin-tightening treatments?
- They are more cost-effective-at least in the near term: If money is an issue, a non-surgical facelift can offer good value for the money.
- There is no serious pain involved: With a non-surgical facelift, there is minimal discomfort and pain experienced by the patient throughout the treatment. This is good news for those who are nervous about such procedures.
- The procedure time is short: With a non-surgical facelift, there is no anaesthesia or other medication involved, and so these procedures can be completed within an hour. However, each patient is different and so the procedure time may vary for each patient.
- They result in a naturally rejuvenated look: In a non-surgical facelift, the skin is not cut or pulled tight but is usually plumped and volumized, which gives the facial features and skin a more youthful look.
- The recovery time is minimal: With non-surgical facelifts, there is minimum time needed for the patient to take off work or other necessary activities and tasks. The recovery time is also minimal, as opposed to a traditional surgical facelift. In fact, after a non-surgical facelift, you can be back at work in no time!
- The aftercare is also minimal: Also, the aftercare involved after a non-surgical facelift is minimal. Discomfort is relatively short-lived and can be managed with over-the-counter medication.
- There are fewer risks involved: Even if a surgical facelift is carried out with the utmost care, there could be risks such as infection and complications from anaesthesia. A non-surgical facelift bypasses all these risks and gives you great peace of mind.
What are the types of non-surgical skin tightening treatments available in Singapore?
- Laser therapy: These treatments boost elastin and collagen production to improve overall skin tone and firmness.
A few examples of this will be the Q-Switched Laser Skin Rejuvenation treatments or the Fotona 5D treatment. They are safe and effective treatments to improve skin tone , skin texture, skin oil production and minimise pore size.
Many experience optimal results after multiple treatments. In addition, laser therapy can effectively firm the tummy, upper arms, and other parts of the body.
- Radio-frequency or ultrasound treatments: Essentially, radio-frequency or ultrasound treatments use heat to induce immediate collagen contraction.
After application, the subsequent secondary healing stimulates new collagen formation and remodeling in the deep layers of the skin — this effectively results in skin tightening.
Although fundamentally utilising different technologies, HIFU (High Frequency Focused Ultrasound) and Thermage treatments both achieve the desired rejuvenating effect for saggy or loose skin!
Get Started with Non-Surgical Treatments for Saggy Skin, Saggy Neck and Loose Skin at SL Aesthetic Clinic
Start firming your skin today. If you’re self-conscious about your saggy or loose skin, we’re here to help.
With our panel of medically-trained and certified doctors recognised by the Singapore Medical Council’s Aesthetic Practice Oversight Committee (APOC), you’re in safe and able hands to start your skin rejuvenation journey!
Visit SL Aesthetic Clinic or call us at +65 9850 71112 to start your journey to the skin you desire and deserve!