Ageing isn’t just your skin looking dry and dull with some sun spots sprinkled around your forehead or cheeks – there are actually real and physical changes happening within the skin cells itself! The dermis in our skin contains small blood vessels to help with nourishment to our skin, and contains a well built mesh of collagen and elastin fibres to give it strength and resilience (think bouncy and elastic skin!).
With increasing age, there is a loss of dermal volume and thickness by about 20%, a 50% decrease in the number of mast cells (immune cells that react to wounds in the skin surface and help with kickstarting healing), and a 60% decrease in blood flow which all compromises the youthful appearance of skin. The content of collagen in the dermis decreases by 1% every year throughout the normal adult life due to natural degradation processes in the body, and its structure even changes from well-organised fibres into a fragmented and disorganised collagen structure form that loses its ability to regain its shape after being deformed. Their capacity to bind to water, called hydrophilic properties, also begins to diminish. Fibroblastic activity reduces, and this is important as fibroblasts main job is to synthesise collagen and elastin in the skin.
This explains why collagen and elastin begins to reduce in the skin as ageing occurs, giving an appearance of dull, sagging, or droopy skin. Hydration levels also drop and skin takes on a ‘crepey’ appearance that can’t seem to bounce back no matter how many hydrating serums or creams a person uses. Even wrinkles can’t seem to go away! Skin rejuvenation treatment helps to address those issues, even if it cannot permanently turn back the ageing process. Why skin rejuvenation treatments? Read on to find out!
Why Do I Need Skin Rejuvenation Treatment?
Because ageing causes a drop in collagen synthesis, reduction in size of existing collagen bundles, and an increase in the levels of enzymes that degrade collagen, skin rejuvenation treatments are needed to help assist healing and repair of the skin! Over time as we age or as our skin becomes damaged from too much sun exposure or acne, we start to see:
- Dehydrated and rough skin that looks dry and dull, with more wrinkles. As collagen fibres decrease in number and their structure changes, they lose their capacity to bind water and skin loses elasticity, becoming wrinkled. Recent studies show that wrinkles appear not only due to degeneration of elastin fibres as previously thought, but also from decreased water-holding power of collagen in the skin.
- Slacking of skin – the appearance of skin hanging loosely on your face. This can be seen primarily over the cheeks, and also over the neck and hands, often among the first most obvious signs of ageing.
- Transparency of skin from the thinning of the epidermis (surface layer of the skin) and dermis (deeper layer of the skin).
- Increased skin fragility, caused by flattening of the area where the epidermis and dermis come together. Skin begins to lose its resilience and mechanical strength when this happens.
- More easily bruised and poorer skin healing. This is caused by thinner blood vessel walls. When collagen and elastin in the skin are of poor quality, wound healing is impaired.
Hence, skin rejuvenation treatments aim to address all those issues via a wide range of options!
- Lasers like the Pico Laser, Q-Switched Laser, Fractional CO2 Laser, and Clear + Brilliant Laser have different modes of treatments and intensities to suit different types of skin. Q-Switched Laser is suitable for mature skin experiencing dark spots on the face, enlarged pores, and sagging skin. Pico laser helps those who are looking to even out skin texture, reduce hyperpigmentation or dark/red spots on the skin, remove tattoos, or reduce rosacea/facial flushing, and is safe during pregnancy. Fractional CO2 Laser is effective for those experiencing atrophic acne scarring with some form of depressed pitting on the face. Clear + Brilliant Laser is less intense than a fractional CO2 laser treatment. As you can see, the type of laser used in skin rejuvenation depends on your skin condition, but there is sure to be one to suit your needs.
- Chemical Peels are topical treatments that help to remove the top layer of skin to reveal younger and smoother skin over time.
- Skinboosters and Profhilo treatments help to inject hyaluronic acid into the skin to boost hydration levels and stimulate collagen & elastin regeneration.
When Do I Need Skin Rejuvenation Treatment?
Skin rejuvenation treatments can begin even in a person’s 20s! Because of the wide range of treatments and how they vary in intensity and function, it can be used for prevention of ageing signs in a person’s 20s (like Skinboosters for hydration!), to using chemical peels for wrinkles that begin to appear in a person’s 30s and 40s, to diminishing hyperpigmentation after childbirth and hormonal changes in a person’s 50s (like Pico Lasers).
As with all skin treatments, it is extremely important to be compliant to after-procedural care which includes sun protection measures. This helps to prevent pigmentation from appearing or worsening. This study showed that even the use of a low grade SPF of 4-10 daily can decrease lifetime exposures to ultraviolet rays by 50%! That’s 50% less sun damage to your skin, which can go a long way in slowing down skin ageing. Remember, skin rejuvenation treatments are just one part of the story. The other part is how well you take care of your body.
Look Younger, Feel Younger – Gain Your Confidence Back Today
If you’ve read these reasons of why skin rejuvenation treatments are something that can help you gain back confidence in your bare no-makeup face and you still have more questions about which treatments are suitable for you, feel free to contact us! SL Aesthetic Clinic has the latest in aesthetic treatment technologies and our team consists of fully qualified doctors that can tailor our cosmetic treatments specially for you and your skin type. Our clinics are located in convenient locations throughout Singapore. With a wide range of skin rejuvenation services including chemical peels, laser skin treatments, injectables, we are sure to have a solution for you.