Your Guide To Botox Jaw Reduction in Singapore
What Is Botox Jaw Reduction?
A Review Of How Jaw Reduction With Botox Is Done
- First, the doctor will determine if your square jaw is caused by bulky and overactive jaw muscles or other causes. Jaw Reduction with Botox can only be done if it is due to bulky square jaw muscles. Botox may not be a solution if your square jaw is due to other reasons such as bone structure or excessive fat in the lower cheeks.
- Second, once the doctor has determined that your square jaw is caused by bulky jaw muscles, the doctor will mark out a treatment plan where the three heads of the masseter (jaw) muscles overlap.
- In particular, the doctor will focus the Botox injection at the deep and superficial ends of the muscles where they converge in the jaw bone. This maximises the jaw reduction effect with Botox for a sustained jaw and face slimming result.
- Research has shown that with continued Jaw reduction Botox treatments, not only will the jaw muscles lose its muscle bulk by 60-80%, your squarish bones can also reduce over time. This means your results may last longer with each subsequent treatment.
How Many Botox Units For Jaw Botox Reduction?
Typically, female patients require at least 20-24 units of Botox per side of the jaw. Male patients may require upwards of 30 Botox units per side of the jaw.
Of course, the exact number of Botox units for Jaw Reduction will depend on the individual patient’s masseter (jaw) muscle strength and size. This will be determined by the doctor during a personalised consultation.
How Much Is Botox Jaw Reduction In Singapore?
Botox jaw reduction price and cost start from $600-$850 depending on the strength of the jaw muscles, inclusive of a review and touch-up. Enquire at SL Aesthetic Clinic now for more details.
How Long To See Botox Jaw Reduction Results?
Jaw reduction with Botox occurs gradually with full results appearing after a 2-4 week period. The results are natural and those around you may think that you look like you have lost weight.
How soon you’ll see results also depends on the strength and size of your masseter (jaw) muscles. The rule of thumb is, the stronger and bigger your jaw muscles, the longer it’ll take for you to see full results.
At SL Aesthetic Clinic, we also encourage our patients to practice a jaw exercise to speed up the Botox effect after a jaw reduction Botox treatment; 3-5 repetitions of clenching the teeth gently, done once or twice daily for the next 7 days.
Like what you read? Share them!
Results last about 6-9 months depending on your body’s metabolism and lifestyle habits. Repeating the treatment every 6 months can help you maintain your slimmer jaw profile. Plus, patients may find that results last longer with each subsequent treatment as the jaw muscles become less bulky and active. To help prolong Botox jaw reduction results, we also recommend that patients minimise chewing on foods that require heavy chewing, such as chewing gum and nuts, and also to avoid grinding teeth.
Measured amounts of Botox are injected into your masseter (jaw) muscles by the doctor. Between 3-5 tiny injections are made on each side of the jaw, depending on your anatomy and the size of your jaw muscles. The entire treatment can be done within 5 minutes or so.
Most patients report minimal discomfort and any pain is likened to an insect bite. For added comfort, numbing cream and ice packs can be applied before treatment.
There is very minimal to almost no downtime, except for tiny injection points on the jaws that disappear within a few hours. Patients typically return to normal daily activities immediately after.
Bruising is rare with Botox treatments in the jaw area, but if any do appear, they will dissipate within a week. You may also apply concealer to cover any bruising, in the rare event that it occurs.
Because Botox jaw reduction is minimally invasive and done with injections, it is also a viable alternative to jaw slimming/bone shaving surgery for those who want the results without the downtime associated with surgery.
Botox is a safe and effective way to reduce jaw size and visually slim down your face without surgery when done by a trained doctor. We have been performing this treatment since 2006.
Most side effects are normal and temporary such as:
- A mild ache when chewing tougher foods is common as the Botox works to weaken the jaw muscles. This sensation usually disappears within a week or two as other chewing muscles take over the function of the masseter muscle.
- Bruising – mild and dissipates within a week.
Some rarer but preventable and temporary side effects may also occur, such as:
- Infection – very unlikely to occur when performed by a doctor with a good hygiene protocol.
- Asymmetry of a smile – this happens when the Botox injected diffuses and relaxes the smile muscles as well. This is temporary and will resolve spontaneously within a month or two.
There are no long-term side effects or risks that have been clinically established, although some studies do show that some patients develop a resistance (or antibodies) to Botox, so the effects of Botox become less pronounced with each treatment.
This occurs in a very small number of Botox patients, and can be mitigated by allowing a 1-month breather period between treatments, not going overboard with dosage, and using other approved brands of Botulinum Toxin A. If a secondary treatment fails to produce results, a laboratory test can be conducted to verify if a patient has developed an immunity to the effects of Botox.
Yes! Aside from a pair of bulky jaw muscles, saggy skin from ageing can also contribute to a round face. In such cases, other treatments such as HIFU, Ultherapy, or Thread Lift can also be considered for a sculpted, sharper and youthful look. Speak to our doctor in a consultation for a personalised treatment plan.
Any healthy adult (male or female) desiring a slimmer and visually sharper face. This is especially applicable for patients whose square jaws are caused by bulky masseter muscles, and whose skin is still taut, without much skin sagging. For patients with some degree of skin sagging, we recommend a combination treatment with HIFU or Thread Lift.
Botox jaw reduction can be unsuitable in the following circumstances:
- Unrealistic expectations.
- Pregnant or nursing.
- Allergy to albumin or any component of the Botox formulation.
- Immunised against Botulinum Toxin A.
- Hypersensitive or have a skin condition.
- Eaton-Lambert syndrome.
- Myasthenia gravis.
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS).
- Other pre-existing medical conditions that cause muscle weakness.
- Infection or active acne over the treatment area.
- Previous allergy or hypersensitivity to Botulinum Toxin A.
Always inform your doctor of all medications, including supplements you may be taking, as well as your medical history. Schedule your Botox treatment at least 2 weeks prior to a special event if you are attending one.
You are free to apply makeup immediately following treatment.
Avoid any type of facial, microdermabrasion, or massage for 14 days after treatment. Do not touch or rub the injected sites for 2-4 hours after treatment.
Avoid strenuous activities such as heavy lifting or vigorous exercise 6 hours after treatment. This helps keep the Botox in its place and not migrate elsewhere.
At SL Aesthetic Clinic we recommend that patients also exercise their jaws gently by clenching the teeth for 3 to 5 repetitions, once or twice daily for the next 7 days to speed up the effects of the Botox on the jaw muscles.
Once the full results have taken effect, to prolong the results, we recommend patients minimise chewing on foods that require heavy chewing such as nuts and chewing gum.